2/12/2006

Surely you're joking mr feynmann


Book review: I have quoted this author before in my blog, becauase of the sole fact that he brings out some sort of culture among scientists and is able to communicate his ideas to the layman.

This book is a must have for every engineering student and moreso for anyone who is interested in science. If you have been a brat sometime in your life, then these are stories of the brat called as Richard Feynmann.

So who was Dr. Feynmann - he was a prof at Caltech (California Institute of Technology) in theoretical physics and a Noble prize winner at the age of 48!!!! Now thats too mahaan. He died in 1987. There is much more to him and google him if you want to know more.

This book is by far a very inspirational book that helps you question your surrounding, that speaks about his little achievements and (some that are not islamically right). But if you can look beyond that, you can imagine a noble prize winner playing drums in the streets of Brazil, with people who probably have not been to college. there is this story of where he gives math tricks which he used to divide faster that a japanese with his abacus. It just encourages you to retain the brat within yourself.

And to wrap it up the last paragraph -
So I have just one wish for you - the good luck to be somewhere where you are free to maintain the kind of integrity I have described, and where you do not feel forced by a need to maintain your position in the organisation, or financial support, or so on, to lose your integrity. May you have that freedom.

22 comments:

s. Toufeeq a. Ahmed said...

I heard of this guy before, Project Manhattan?? the title is really famous too..

I should start reading nerdy books too.. enuf of poetry...


btw y r u reading so many inspirational books....

Anonymous said...

i need inspirational books all the time. how depressing, right? let me just add that i need inspirational people all the time.

this book was not exactly nerdy. anyone who has been through high school can enjoy it.

also i decided to explore the world of non-fiction. enuf of sci-fi, and fiction for me for now

Anonymous said...

I love fiction. Since my life is full of non-fictional drama, I prefer to escape its realities every chance I get :) Not a fan of sci-fi AT ALL!

Anonymous said...

BK: how come your life is non-fictional......i think a girl's life can never be non-fictional... unless you are mother theresa..

T1: You hve three choices...
1. get ton load of inspirational books , tapes, video.....
2. get a wife... .. this way you have no money left to buy those things...

s. Toufeeq a. Ahmed said...

3. or drink coffee..

Anonymous said...

or
[4] spend more time at the job. keeps u away from doing anything anywhere :)

Anonymous said...

t2: I take offense to that comment! I think there are plenty of things I've accomplished in my life that would be worth reading about :D

t1: Books and people are great, but you should also look for inspiration within...

Anonymous said...

what is inspiration within?

Anonymous said...

Inspiration within yourself.

s. Toufeeq a. Ahmed said...

BK: I meant in funny way, Me sorry, if you took literal meaning...


Got "life of PI" today... lets see if I get time to finish it...
Also got my one of my fav author's... "the broker".. John grisham...

Hey guyz shall we start book sharing club or something.. or book reading club...

Maryum said...

"how come your life is non-fictional......i think a girl's life can never be non-fictional... unless you are mother theresa.."

umm how can anyone life be "non-fiction"? by definition her life would be fake and a made up story. last time i check...we live in reality....unfortunately :/

oh ya and i resent that other comment "get a wife and you won't have any money left...."

i'm not even going to comment.

i need my rocks...

s. Toufeeq a. Ahmed said...

guyz i meant to be funny...

Am sorry, if u dont get it.... My dad gives all his salary to my mom every month...and she does not allow him to buy unnecessary things...


how many of u got the drink coffee part ??

Anonymous said...

I don't mind the wife comment- I will definitely spend all of my husband's money :) hurray!

t2: I know you were joking, no worries! YES, let's start a book sharing club or whatever.

I just finished "Prep", a fictional novel about a teenage girl's experiences in a prestigious boarding school for high schoolers. Good, light read.

s. Toufeeq a. Ahmed said...

Thanks for understanding...

lets Book-sharing-club ...

anybody intersted?........

Anonymous said...

I will have to write my name over all my books before I become part of such things.

Learnt it the hard way that books have a mind of their own.

s. Toufeeq a. Ahmed said...

I learnt that in First grade..

but still I forget whom I gave too..

s. Toufeeq a. Ahmed said...

that means u dont believe us?

Anonymous said...

Tsk, tsk. T1 thinks we're all chor ke bachay (or bachiyan)...

s. Toufeeq a. Ahmed said...

and he comes from pune...

In orissa/bihar/Madhya pradesh... when kids dont sleep during nights, their moms tell them "sleep, sleep, other wise marathi will come"

something like "sleep sleep other wise daku/chor/buDDA will come and get you"

History 101: Maratha's plundered/looted these lands..as they burned down Dilli ('Delhi', stupid brits..)

Anonymous said...

and bcos t1 comes from Pune (as T2 has assumed)he is pretty cool about whatever assumptions and accusations and names that T2 wants to call.

history 101 depends on the region you grow up in

Sandgroper said...

Boss, the least you should do is acknowledge that you borrowed my book for over 2 months!!!

Anonymous said...

sandgroper!!! kya naam hai.

Cheerio!!! come onto the bandwagon my friend.

And everyone he got me started when i was in LA and I took his book for 2 months to complete half of it. And then there was a hiatus of 2 years. and then it took me 2 weeks to complete the remaining.

Hope to see more of sandgroper.