1/14/2006

Anda Bhurrjee


Book Review: The Monk who sold his Ferrari.
A very insightful book on how a workaholic gave up his millions to return to a simple life. So first thing before any of you jump and say - workholic =t1 let me say that t1 != millionaire. So this was not a story about me.

When you read the book, you think about all the aspects that Islam emphasizes us to do, but in the course of our regular lives, these things are just sent to the back burner. For example - Do you take time out for yourself in a day to exercise and to read. Yes I have this blogistan where everyone sits reading. but the author explicitly mentions - read a book that influences you. And read it DAILY. now is that mentioned in our sunnah somewhere?

How often is it that when we are told to give it our best, our mind gets distracted. I put in 10 hours at my job, but I also am distracted by the internet. Wouldn't it be better if i concentrated those 8 hours instead? This book talks about the Heart of a Rose. It asks you to stare at the rose starting at 5 minutes a day till you can concentrate on the rose for 20 minutes. Thinking of nothing else but the rose. Now where is that Ikhlas when we want it 5 times daily.

Then it talks about developing good habits and overcoming negativity. I actually tried one thing over Ramadan about developing a habit, and seriously if you do it for 21 days, it will change you. I wonder if nights of Qadr come after aprox 20 days for a purpose.

Chapter 9 is awesome and without a doubt why i will recommend this book.

Now I saw qualities of some people I know that were mentioned in this book:
"True life change is spontaneous - change happens from the time you decide from the deepest core of your being that you will raise your life to the highest level."
"Truly enlightened people dont seek to be others- rather they seek to be superior to their former selves"
"the quality of your life will come down to the quality of your contributions. A little bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives you the roses!!!!"

So this was surely a good bargain at Rs 175 ~$4.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

after a long wait (to get it from T1) .. I bought da vinci code myself today... I wanted to read it for long time...




I heard about 'monk who...'... Let me know when I can borrow it (or i have to wait forever....)

Anonymous said...

its too good not to own one!! I can give you mine with the deal that you dont modify the dog years.

Anonymous said...

Da Vinci Code was awesome... t2, I have the cooler version with pics and stuff...

The monk book seems interesting... he sounds like a Sufi ;)

Anonymous said...

What is anda bhurrjee?

Anonymous said...

anda bhurjee is the staple diet of an indian student liveing in the dorms during the time of his undergrad. It is made by chopped onion, red chilli powder, aayl and the most important ingredient i.e. andas.

Anonymous said...

aka Egg Omlete with Onions and stuff...

Anonymous said...

aka Egg Omlete with Onions and stuff... (bhurrjee is north india word)

BK: If i really like it then I will read it again (by borrowing ur book with pics...) Other day I saw Da vinci's notebook (as picture book) in biltmore borders...$40.. was too tempting ....

s. Toufeeq a. Ahmed said...

what is the link between Pune district map and "monk" novel and anda 'bhurjee'.

Anonymous said...

For real, I was gonna ask the same question... t1's titles are totally random...

Anonymous said...

they are linked by randomness - i was out of good photos, i had a book review in mind and it was 10 minutes before dinnertime. All random.

and T2, anda bhurjee is more like scrambled eggs rather than omelette.

Anonymous said...

Randomness is aight, no worries.

I just saw D-- WHAT a movie. Sheesh. I wanna be a gangster!!!

Anonymous said...

what is D--? is the movie so bad that you dont want to mention its name?

Anonymous said...

kitne picture dekhne ka time hai :(

s. Toufeeq a. Ahmed said...

D is almost real story of Dawood Ibrahim..India's most wanted man. Most feared man in Bombay...

I liked the movie, sans songs... and melodrama...

s. Toufeeq a. Ahmed said...

'D' is the name of movie..

D company.. more realistic version of 'company' staring Ajay Devgan and Vivek Anannd Oberoi..

Both from RGV's Factory...

D's love interest in the movie is none other than Mandakini the actress..

D's boss is Haji Mastan..

Anonymous said...

t2: I liked it better than Company and Satya. The storyline was tight! There were barely any songs, not that it matters because my brother makes me fast forward them anyway...

t1: picture dekhna is my fultu tp :D

Anonymous said...

Fast Forward button is made for hindi songs... Some are good... but most of them are really bad..

Anonymous said...

But the good ones are soooo good :)

Maryum said...

i need to start reading more. i never read.

T 1 said...

Hey whoever organized the MAS summer camp did a good job. The one thing that has stuck with me from then is inspiration to return to reading. I have forgotten that lady's name though ...