10/12/2006

Dear Dad


http://cjcphoto.com/can/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4B-r8KJhlE

Taken from the article:
Eighty-five times Dick Hoyt has pushed his disabled son, Rick, 26.2 miles in marathons. Eight times he's not only pushed him 26.2 miles in a wheelchair but also towed him 2.4 miles in a dinghy while swimming and pedaled him 112 miles in a seat on the handlebars--all in the same day.

This year, at ages 65 and 43, Dick and Rick finished their 24th Boston Marathon, in 5,083rd place out of more than 20,000 starters. Their best time'? Two hours, 40 minutes in 1992--only 35 minutes off the world record, which, in case you don't keep track of these things, happens to be held by a guy who was not pushing another man in a wheelchair at the time.


Like Dick Hoyt, our own dads have a tale of their own - about how our lives have changed together. From the time when he changed nappies for the first time, rushed me to the doctor when I sneezed and coughed, protected me from the terrible howling winds and rains of the monsoons, taught me the first alphabets, read to me from 'Tell me Why', brought the first trainset, took me to the first day of school, took me home after the first day of school, travelled with me in our vacations, gave me a taste of punishment so that i dont do that thing again, and many more. All the time managing the pressures of a job, and family, and extended family!!!! They are superhumans- Not the insulting way dads are portrayed in the form of Homer Simpson.

Remember the mercy of Allah SWT in the form of your dad, and how your life was easier because of his presence. There are different levels of engagement - the least is to pray for him regularly.

My initial plan was to write about Imam Ghazaali's dad but last minute changes happen.

2 comments:

bushraaa said...

I love my daddy.

s. Toufeeq a. Ahmed said...

Your best post so far....