2/11/2008

Evolution or not

Darwin was an interesting guy and wrote that excellent book that spoke about species in general. I have to admit that evolution exists and also in humans. One classic example can be observed in the weapons of war used by (lets not go too far in history) the mughals. Each sword weighs a ton, indicating that they were well built and had a height that was bigger that the people of today. So I will say that humans in their evolution have actually decreased in size over the years.

As an electronic engineer, we have studied the marvels of the atom and the electron but have never seen these particles yet we believe in it. So it would be apt for us to believe that no rosetta stone is necessary for us to prove conclusively of some tree swinging ancestor(astgh). However there is a big difference in saying that the species of cats exists in many different forms, and the species of goats exist in multitude countries and that saying that once upon a time the cats and goats were partners in crime. (To me it seems straight out of Disneyland).

Similarly every animal had its evolution- some died, some were killed, and man brought others to extinction. (Forget the next generations - I ask you - why did the cheetah disappear from India when man could have prevented it.) But what is the relation between an ant and an elephant to a scorpion - there is no rosetta stone and no link whatsoever. So I conclude that Darwin was right in evolution of species but that was individually. And if I look back at the life of Darwin, I am all the more convinced that his study was based on winches with varying beak sizes and not a relation between winches and seals etc.

And speaking of the Creator - His creations extend way beyond our imagination. If you work with the complexity of ASICS, you will understand that emulating a section of the P4 takes a million dollar box with 128 million ASIC gates. Now the best supercomputer uses 128K+ processors and cannot yet come even close to the complexity of the brain. So sbh I can only marvel at the creator. And lets extend this to beyond living organisms - can we explain why sea water and river water taste different though they mix freely? And the biggest non-explanation I have ever received - Can you explain life that arises in the womb? Darwin cannot explain that and nor can some atheism manual.

I am a muslim and nearly all my references come from the Quran. Taking the historical age of its relevation and its authenticity, I am marvelled at the miracles that were mentioned in it and seeing it confirmed in the years since then, only reaffirms my belief in God. There is harmony between the Quran and modern science. Allah does not tell you how to solve calculus and to program in C, but surely he has bestowed you with a beautiful mind and spirit that enables you to do so.

A student might be deceived by the accuracy of mathematics and then generalize and consider all the subjects included in philosophy, including metaphysics, to be as accurate. I pray to God to guide you to the right path to protect from knowledge that is of no use to you.

http://www.miraclesofthequran.com/scientific_index.html
http://www.youngmuslims.ca/online_library/books/towards_a_sound_awakening/ch1p3.htm

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I read through your post more than once and I have heard most of the arguments before. We may have decreased in size but who is to say whether it is a good thing or bad. I can always argue it is a good thing because it allows for more people on the planet. Evolution is not about bigger and stronger, it is about survival. Ask the dinosaurs!

As I read through, I realized that you in many ways corroborated my argument that the easiest way to get around something we don't understand is to attribute it to God. You have done that more than once in your post.

You talk about the human brain, many a times I look at my hand and I am in absolute awe of it. There is a long way to go before we can build something even close it but that does not automatically imply a designer. All I said in my post was that there are serious problems with the idea of an intelligent creator and in comparison Darwinism makes more sense to me because it has more empirical evidence. I understand though that both are theories and haven't been completely proved or disproved. I just took a side that appeals to me most and I gave my reasons for it.

The questions you have raised have been answered more once so i will not go into that but your post really got me thinking about a couple of things. Oh, but I do suggest that you do take some time and read the origin of the species completely. That should clear up a lot of things and help you understand the theory better. Your knowledge of the theory seems "second-hand".

One question that pooped up was with your reference to the Quran. I am really wondering if religion and the concept of God can be decoupled. Can you be a religious atheist? Why do we always have religious interpretations of God and why are most religions based around a God?

The other question is as humans can we do something that is against the laws of nature. Humans are an integral part of nature, so how can we do unnatural things? If the cheetah disappeared from India how do we conclude if it is a good thing or a bad thing? It is something that happened in nature. I am sure it has happened before as well with some non-human species eating away some other species lower down the chain. What I am trying to say is the word natural is defined by us humans based on our limited knowledge of nature and then we self-righteously crib about things that don't fit into that definition. Don't you think that is absurd?

What disturbed me about your post though was the last line. You talk about useless knowledge. That scares me to extents you cannot imagine. Who are you or I to decide if knowledge is useful or useless. How can you predict if something I learn today, however useless it might seem at this point, will not come in handy later on. If we go down this road then where do we start drawing the lines. You will be a parent soon, will you prevent your child from reading Darwin because you think it is useless? Is that not severely curtailing exposure and is that not depriving your child?

I don't believe that any knowledge is useless. At the end we are the sum of our experiences and our knowledge. The more of both puts us in a better place to make more informed and hence better decisions. I STRONGLY DISAGREE with that last line and I think that it sets a very dangerous precedent.

T 1 said...

Religion without God is more commonly known as a cult.

There is a difference between controlling your child and parenting your child. An example is that you read this book in your 20s when you have a choice to decide for yourself, and to act accordingly. Yes you are right that I have "second-hand" knowledge of the origin of species, but guess what, I am quite proud of it. I am not scared of my co-worker evolving tomorrow into a mutant or finding new dinosaur bones from years gone by. Also when you will have a child you will realize there is more to it than just waiting for it with Origin of Species in your hand.

I am perfectly at peace with God not because all your arguments seem to imply creation that is tangible - but because there is a harmony in nature that could not have been achieved. Man has only tried to modify nature and it has had only a detrimental effect till today. Man may be natural but his actions have not - Mulla Mutha with all those chemicals added by Man, Garbage bins creating a stink is due to man, air sulphur content increased by man, and the list goes on.

Yes there is knowledge that is useless and Sandhyanand is part of it. But that tabloid does not represent the breadth of it - Anything that goes against the law of nature - and for me the law of nature is the law of God as said in the Quran. I have to regret fully say that man has always tried to define nature in his own ways but without success.

Also I dont take God as the last resort to attribute something I dont understand, but rather the first and then continue to see whether man's nature is defying it or complying with it.

Unknown said...

I guess you are set in your ways. I am still not at peace. I think the intelligent design theory has serious flaws. Maybe like you point out the problem is in me, I expect a little too much. There must be some middle ground and maybe I will find it eventually.

I humbly ask you to rethink the concept of useless knowledge. Even Sandhyanand has its place in the tree and it has to be respected. Please don't take away the freedom of your children to learn, explore and have an opinion of their own.

Unknown said...

One problem that i know of with second hand knowledge is that it is always editorialized. You like it or not the guy who is giving you this information has tainted it in some way and his thoughts are mixed with what the original author is trying to say. That is in a way diluting the words of the original author, which according to me is not a good way to pick up something.

I had a friend drop off an English translation of the Quaran this morning. I intend to read all 30 chapters to find out what it has to say. I am quite intrigued by our conversation and I thought the best way to decide is to read it myself. I am starting with an open, non-prejudiced mind and I will tell what I think when i am done.

Now the point I was trying to make was that I will obviously take it home and read it. I am not afraid to take it home. I am sure i will be asked why I am reading it. Which is quite alright because if you know me it classifies as weird behavior but I can assure you that I will not be asked to give it up or not read it even though I know for a fact my mother will classify it as "useless" knowledge.

I also know that my parents disagree with most of the things I write on the blog, but they follow it diligently and not once have they told me not to write or not to express or hold an opinion which is radically different from their own. It is this freedom that i cherish the most. I am grateful for it and what they taught me is how to value it. I believe this freedom is at the core of my existence and it makes me the better human being. This to me is the difference between controlling your child and parenting your child.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, that was extremely valuable and interesting...I will be back again to read more on this topic.

Anonymous said...

Cool website, I hadn't noticed jingocheetah.blogspot.com earlier in my searches!
Continue the great work!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.freewebs.com/azadose]zithromax buy online no prescription
[/url]zithromax avelox
azithromycin qt prolongation
zithromax j code
azithromycin treatment for chlamydia
Altezym online generic

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.freewebs.com/lipit0r]prices on generic lipitor
[/url]lipitor price generic
buy lipitor 80 mg
buy atorvastatin 20 mg
lipitor price target
lipitor price without insurance

Anonymous said...

|
|
|